Tuesday, May 12, 2015

1st Week in Denmark & Traveling Days

Hej!

Denmark is pretty awesome. It's like walking through a fairytale - especially where I am right now. I'm in a town called Hillerød, which is like 45 minutes outside of København (Copenhagen). I'm where the Frederiksberg Castle is, and oh yes, it's even better in real-life than pictures. My companion and trainer is Ældste Brady, and I'm almost positive he will be Assistant President to Præsident Sederholm (or the new guy) soon! 

Anyways, with that set aside, the Work here slow. Not many people care to know about church, or any religion for that matter. We go door to door and they're just like "I'm not interested." So we move on. We've only got one potential investigator from all of like 200 houses. And that was last night! WOO. 

The church here is quite small. It's a Ward with about 80 active members, but they're all awesome and tried to talk to me - even though they know I hardly understand them. All of the church meetings yesterday were hard to understand but I got the general gist. I had to get up in front of everyone and speak Danish to introduce myself and bare my testimony. My Danish wasn't bad at all, it's just my American accent that I will never be able to get rid of. No one can for that matter. I can understand probably 75% of what people say, so hopefully by next week I'm at least pushing 77% and make a bit of progress. 

The food here is amazing. I haven't had anything bad yet, which is surprising because I've made about half of it. The other half was the amazing part - Danish cuisine! They love their potatoes and meats.... And I do too!! I'm so grateful to be here rather than somewhere like South or Central America and getting fed something I shouldn't be eating. 

The flights here were interesting. I had like a 3 hour flight from Salt Lake to Dallas and sat next to a super nice lady and we talked about the church a Little bit. From Dallas to London was a looooonggg flight and I had the worst seat ever. I sat in the middle of the middle of the back of the plane next to a missionary and a guy who hated me just because he saw my nametag. But that's okay because all of the missionaries headed to Denmark or Finland were all using some chat room on the flight so we had a good time. Also they served breakfast like 3 hours after dinner so everyone on the plane woke up so confused because it was like 6am London time but like 11pm our time so we were like really messed up and dumbfounded for a Little bit. So then we traveled through Heathrow's gigantic airport to wait for the flight to Copenhagen. So anyways that flight was like 1.5 hours and I snapped some pics. The flight was weird because it was British Airways and they said rubbish, and they have like a cart with expensive items you can buy on it, and that was really weird. So we landed in Copenhagen and it was like 70 degrees or so.. Pretty much beautiful..it hasn't been that way since. But that day we met our mission president and went on to the Mission office where we ate some smørbrød, which is decent. After, we moved onto do some contacting in Copenhagen and of course no one was interested really. They took some of the Cards we gave them, but for the most part they all said that God has no meaning for them. It's pretty hard to hear considering that God is basically what our life is. Anyways so we went to the mission president's house and ate a REALLY good Danish meal and then had a little testimony in his living room. After which, we went off to bed....and I got 10 hours of sleep. It felt incredible. Keep in mind, we were awake 48 hours, and we wreaked and were brutally exausted.. I can't remember some of that day in all honesty!

Anyways we have like 5 non progressing investigators we've been working with. They all love drinking and smoking so it's hard working with them. All of Denmark has a hard time with it, and they want to stop because it's a commandment God gave us, but they just love it. Some of our investigators and inactives feed us, so I like that a lot! The people here are awesome though. They're super nice.

A lot of people here think that we are Jehovah's Witnesses and it kinda stinks because they drill Copenhagen and are pretty ruthless with people. So we get that a lot. But when we go door to door, they either react, "I'm not interested, but I appreciate what you're doing," or "No thanks," or "No" and they stare us down and shake their fists at us as we walk away, or curse us out. We only had one say that we can come back. So the Work here is a bit slow but as long as I'm doing what I'm supposed to, I know the Lord is going to bless me and I have already seen that! I never get disappointed or upset about it, and that's exactly how I know.

Anyways, Denmark is pretty awesome and really similar to the USA, cultural wise. So I got Lucky! They love Puma over here and it's kinda funny to see how much they mob for it.

It was fun to talk to the Family yesterday too! It was too short! ): But at least I get to email, right? I just gotta wait for Christmas now.. ): Anyways, I hope all is well! I've seen how I've been blessed out here just doing what I'm supposed to, so my message to everyone out there is to do what you're supposed to, and I promise the Lord will bless us all. :)

Jeg elsker jer og hav det godt! Jeg vil taler med jer næste uge! jeg kan ikke vente for det!

Kærlighed,

Ældste Taylor Howes

PS I was really tired in that pic so don't judge. That's in Copenhagen. AKA facebook header.



No comments:

Post a Comment